​New Sewanee Historical Marker Installed on Tennessee Avenue

A new historical marker was installed in Sewanee on Dec. 13. The marker, at 40 Tennessee Ave., celebrates the historic home Saints Rest. The home is one of the three oldest remaining houses in Sewanee. It was erected in 1870 by Charlotte Bull Barnwell Elliott, widow of one of the University of the South’s founding bishops, Stephen Elliott. The home was part of the postwar revival of the University. A pre-Civil War cabin on the same site was the writing studio of Tennessee suffragist Sarah Barnwell Elliott.

The home was most recently owned by the Lines family until the University purchased it in September 2016.
Historical markers commemorate a person, place, object, or event with local importance and, whenever possible, significance and importance in the broad pattern of Tennessee or national history. Tennessee’s Monuments and Markers Committee and Historical Commission approved the new marker.